Saturday, October 21, 2023

Remember Sara Hall

Even if you decide not to read this book you should remember Sarah Hall.  She can write, perhaps too well.  And she can tell a story.  The story of Cyrill Parks, "The Electric Michelangelo" is not for everyone.  It is, at it's core, the biography of a tattoo artist.  From his early formative years, though several epochs of his life, and into his later years, Hall spins a deep narrative about how one might become an artist whose canvas is their client's skin.  Having read this book shortly after reading Jeffery Archer's "Path's of Glory", it is interesting to compare the story of an Englishman of some privilege and leisure growing up to be, George Mallory, with the story of another Englishman of somewhat less privilege growing up between the seams of society to become a scrapper, or tattoo artist.  We can compare their early lives, parents, and friends along with their education and chosen profession.  These, after all, are two men growing up in England between 1900 and 1930.  There are some interesting parallels, like George Mallory's father was a minister and Cyrill Park's mother "helped" women with unwanted pregnancies.  But there are probably more useful comparisons to be made between the craft of Sara Hall whose career is just taking flight, and the writing of Jeffery Archer, whose career is in it's twilight. Out of respect for both authors I will not do that here.  I will say that I read this book because I am considering a tattoo, not to read great literature.  That was the only reason I read this book -- I am and will be for the rest of my life more interested in mountain climbing -- even if I do continue with my plans for a tattoo.  But to me I now know Cyrill Parks as if I grew up next too him for his entire life, perhaps better than I know most of my own friends.  George Mallory, on the other hand, is just an acquaintance, someone of passing interest I met in a newspaper article.  Sara Hall can write, but I've said that.  Read this book, get a tattoo if you can determine what part of your heart and soul should be on display to the world, but do not forget Sara Hall.


No comments:

Post a Comment