Thursday, November 9, 2023

What I Talk About - Murakami


Thank God for airport book stores.  I've never been one to pick up exhausting tomes while traveling--too much to read too much to carry--therefore when Haruki Murakami's new memoir, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" caught my eye at Atlanta's Hartsfield, it looked just right. Short, light, with a little bit of F. Scott and a little bit of Zen philosophy tucked inside (He never mentions Zen directly).  As a runner who runs and doesn't believe in walking during a marathon Murakami captures this essential truth with quality and gives us his recipe for endurance.  Not just with running but with life in general.  His analogies to running and writing are simple yet powerful.  For fans of Murakami's work this book should provide some insight into his his daily life,  simple yet somehow powerful.  For those unfamiliar with his novels, such as myself, I was sufficiently intrigued by his prose to grab a copy of "Norwegian Wood", one of his acclaimed works, as my next read.  At 60 Murakami still intends to publish novels and run marathons, presumably without walking.  His recipe works.

No comments:

Post a Comment