Friday, November 24, 2023

The GIrl With the Dragon Tattoo - Larsson

 

I just finished “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”, by the late Swedish author Stieg Larsson.  I’m arriving late to the Larsson party; it seems this book published in Sweden under the title, “Men Who Hate Women”, has sold 8 Million since its release in 2005.  It is now an International Best Seller.  The release of its English translation in the US in 2008 has been causing quite a stir but I was unaware of this commotion until the movie caught my eye at Blockbuster.   After watching the movie… twice… it was time to read the book.  I felt compelled to know the back story as I was so intrigued by a movie plotline that could take me from anger to compassion to revulsion to tears.  That was the movie.  And since doing the movie/book switch has its pros and cons…sometimes you like the movie better sometimes you like the book… I was uncertain.  The last time I’ve been this excited to read a book after a movie came in 1991 when the lambs were screaming.  I came home from the movie and read the Thomas Harris thriller in one sitting.  And again this time with a visual of the faces and places in my head I found the book thoroughly entertaining.  The movie by my estimation was true enough to the book…there are some deviations but nothing sufficient to cry foul.  I liked that. 

So it’s not clear if I can give this book 5 stars (as so many have) for its literary prowess and entertainment value since, for me, the movie provided so much help with regard to the character and scene development.  But I will tell you that although I didn’t read it in one sitting I was very close. I turned the pages even though I knew the outcome in advance.   Larsson was onto a winning formula and touched just the right balance of history, violence, mystery, technology, sex, and yes…coffee drinking, to etch a new character into my brain…the girl with the dragon tattoo.  So Clarice Starling, please make room for Lisbeth Salander, your Swedish crime solving alter-ego.  I will definitely pick up the next books in this series soon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment